MailChimp - Create New Subscriber
Learn how to add willing subscribers to your mailing list automatically.
As an organiser, you want to be able to keep your visitors close, especially to let them know about your (future) events, and what better way than to add them to your mailing list? The struggle for organisers is that they have to make exports of all the orders when they want to start putting together their direct mailing lists and campaigns in MailChimp. We often receive complaints that this is a time-consuming process, but Zapier’s automation provides a solution to this problem.
How do I add a new subscriber in MailChimp automatically?
1. Go to the Zapier Dashboard, and click on ‘Make a Zap’ in the top-left corner of the screen.
2. First, you will need to choose a Trigger, the activity that prompts Zapier to start an automation. Choose the ‘Eventix’ app.
3. The following step is to select the Trigger within the Eventix app. Since we are trying to automate the process of adding subscribers to a mailing list, choose ‘New Order’.
4. You have selected a Trigger. Now, select the company you would like to draw orders from. If your company is not listed, click on ‘+ Connect a new account’ and enter your details. Click on ‘Continue’ to go to the next step.
5. Now you can test your trigger, to make sure everything works as planned.
6. Your trigger is complete. The next step is to select what Action Zapier should take. In this case, you want to choose MailChimp as the app.
7. Next, you want to choose ‘Add/Update Subscriber’ as the action. Click on “Continue”.
8. Here you will be asked to connect your MailChimp Account, if you haven’t already done so. Click on “Continue” again.
9a. On the next page, you will need to determine what Audience you would like your subscribers to appear in, and what data point to draw the email address from. The ‘Audience’ field is up to you (in our example we have used the general Eventix Audience). The Subscriber Email is a different story altogether; here it is important that you select ‘email’ from the dropdown menu.
9b. As these were the only two required fields, you could already click on ‘Continue’ now. However, we still want to show you a couple of neat tricks you can pull with some of the optional fields though.
Update Existing: If you set this to ‘Yes’, the person placing the order is already in your Audience, Zapier will update the data you have relating to that person. We recommend you set this to ‘Yes’.
There are also a number of optional fields towards the bottom which you can use to ensure that Zapier automatically syncs certain visitor information with the merge fields in MailChimp (First Name, Last Name, Address, etc.). In order to do so, pair as many fields as you like with the corresponding data point in the dropdown menu.
10. After you hit ‘Continue’, you will be able to test that the connection is working correctly by hitting ‘Test & Continue.
If everything comes back fine you will be able to complete your Zap by clicking on “Turn on Zap”, as you now have a working Trigger and Action.
EVENTIX TIP: Alternatively you could narrow your audience down further using Tags! To go down that route, click on ‘Add a Step’ and follow this guide.
Thanks for reading! If you have any further questions about automatically adding new subscribers to MailChimp, feel free to contact us through the chat in the bottom-right corner, or via email@example.com.